Publishing civic data
What's the need?
- Many municipalities and regions have open data to share but need an institution to manage or coordinate a centralized data collection.
Why the library?
- Libraries are trusted stewards of information and library workers have considerable expertise in managing data and protecting privacy.
- Libraries are leading many digital inclusion and data literacy efforts in their communities.
- As the priorities of elected officials change, having a third-party entity like a library host data from government organizations and other partners can also help to sustain community data initiatives.
What you can do:
- Publish available non-sensitive public information (ex. Census data) about your community
- Build a prototype program using cloud-based data storage services like Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive to host data
- Manage a civic data portal
Resources you can use: